The 3.3 release is getting closer, as you can probably tell from the activity in the bug tracker and in the git repository. While the 3.3 development version is not ready for public testing yet, it’s time to tell you about another new, cool feature coming in 3.3:
Markdown syntax support!
Just a heads up to anyone thinking about trying to start a blog post series just before summer: not a good idea. Anyways, I’m back with another update on new and upcoming features in 3.3. Many of you may not use the wiki, either because of its limited abilities to format and organize content in it, or just because you use another system for documentation or don’t have wiki content to put in. Fair enough, but in 3.3 a huge push has been made to make it possible and desirable for you to put your documentation and text content in the Bug Genie wiki! How so?, I hear you whisper in the shadows – oh, I’ll tell you.
The 3.2 wiki – while staying compatible with the Mediawiki (Wikipedia) syntax – only contains a minor subset of the full syntax available in Mediawiki installations. The goal with using the Mediawiki syntax is both to make it easy to use the Bug Genie wiki for Mediawiki users and authors, and to not introduce yet another wiki formatting syntax for you to learn. The mediawiki syntax is straight-forward, feature-rich and easy to understand. About time we started supporting more of it!
So, what have the wiki got in store for you for 3.3? Read on!
First of all, I just have to say sorry for not keeping this blog more up-to-date. There has been much to do with both life and work, and little time to blog. That’s about to change, so this blog post should hopefully work to liven up the blog again.
Now, with that out of the way, you’re probably wondering what is happening with the next planned version – version 3.3 – originally scheduled for release early this year. As you may have noticed, instead of launching version 3.3, I started a donation campaign to try and attract some attention to the fact that The Bug Genie is unfortunately a one-man show nowadays with little help from the outside. I will tell you how that went in a different blog post, but rest assured that version 3.3 is coming, and it’s closer now than it was in January!
When you upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3, you will probably not notice anything new directly on the frontpage – but as soon as you start navigating around, you’ll see what’s been keeping us busy.
Our apologies to those wishing to use the mercurial hook who have been unable to find it. We have restored the hook, and it is now available again by clicking Modules Library in the footer.
Just before we’re about to release our highly anticipated 3.2 version, we found time to do a code-wise small, but impact-wise potentially bigger 3.1.x release. We backported a minor cache fix in our DB layer that may significantly increase the speed for many of you. If you’re experiencing delays (not db index related) or slowdowns, please upgrade to this version (it’s a recommended upgrade anyway) to fix this.
Also in this release is a bugfix for #1419 about non-existing linked articles, a minor bugfix for gmp_val() and a fix for the CLI.
Go get it, here: http://thebuggenie.com/download
In the first and the second blog post in this series, we’ve taken a good look at the generic theme changes and how we’ve worked to improve project management in 3.2. This post will highlight many of the changes we’ve made to the actual issue management. Let’s dive right in!